What is sciatica pain or sciatica?
Sciatica is a symptom. It consists of leg pain, which might feel like a bad leg cramp, or it can be excruciating, shooting pain or radicular pain that makes standing or sitting nearly impossible. It starts from lower back pain or as hip pain and runs down and behind the leg, upto ankle or toes, known as radiculopathy.
The pain might be worse when you sit, sneeze, or cough. Sciatica can occur suddenly or it can develop gradually. You might also feel weakness, numbness, or a burning or tingling (pins and needles) sensation down your leg, possibly even in your toes. Less common symptoms might include the inability to bend your knee or move your foot and toes.
Sciatica might be a symptom of a “pinched nerves” affecting one or more of the lower spinal nerves. The nerve might be pinched inside or outside of the spinal canal as it passes into the leg. It is frequently associated with lower back pain or hip pain.
- A herniated disc or slipped disc that causes pressure on a nerve root — This is the most common cause of sciatica.
- When the piriformis muscle, a small muscle that lies deep in the buttocks, becomes tight or contracts (muscle spasm), which can put pressure on and irritate the sciatic nerve, also known as Piriformis syndrome.
- Degenerative disc disease – Results from narrowing of the spinal canal with pressure on the nerves
- Spondylolisthesis — This is a slippage of one vertebra over another (bones of the spine) so that it is out of line with the one above it, narrowing the opening through which the nerve exits
- Lumbar canal stenosis or spinal stenosis
- Sacroiliac joint pain or arthritis
- A burning sensation, numbness, or tingling radiating from the lower back and upper buttock down the back of the thigh to the back of the leg. The result is lumbar pain, buttock pain, hip pain, nerve pain and leg pain.
- Aching in the buttock, back of the thigh (hamstring) and calf.
- Pain in the ankle and foot.
- Increased pain when lifting, straining or coughing.
- Loss of power or weakness of the muscles of the leg and foot.
How to diagnose sciatica
X-rays, spine MRI & CT scans would be required to diagnose the exact cause of sciatica pain.
Sciatica treatment | Sciatica pain treatment
Medications, sciatica exercises, sciatica stretches are offered in the beginning. Best sciatica cure is not through surgery, but minimally-invasive, non-surgical pinhole technique called MIPI.
Sciatica treatment or sciatic symptoms often differs and depends upon underlying causes and pain levels. Interventional Pain and Spine Centre, Delhi, India, with its branches (Contact) at Rohini, Ashok Vihar, Punjabi Bagh, Paschim Vihar (Delhi) and Rohtak (Haryana) is the most advanced spine clinic to treat sciatica without any surgery and with minimally invasive, pinhole techniques. You can consult the best sciatica doctor in Delhi at our centre.
To know about the various most advanced, state-of-the-art and revolutionary treatments offered by our specialists, please click the following links:
- Percutaneous disc treatments
- Radiofrequency Ablation
- Advanced pain relief implants
To know the benefits of these latest and safest techniques, click on FAQ’s.