Neck pain is a common medical problem. It is also known as cervical spondylitis or cervical spondylosis or just cervical. Neck pain can result from a number of diseases. Neck pain occurs behind the neck anywhere from the bottom of the head up to the shoulders. It may further spread to the shoulders or upper part of the back as well. Neck pain can involve any of the tissues like skin, muscles of the neck, ligaments, neck spine / cervical spine, joints of neck spine, nerves coming out of the neck spine etc.
With the increase in number of professionals who sit for hours together doing desk work or sitting for hours in front of the computer and call center jobs which requires continuous sitting in one posture, the number of people suffering with cervical spondylosis is on the rise. Cervical spondylosis is a ‘wear and tear’ of the vertebrae (bones of neck spine) and discs in the neck and is the most common cause.
What are the causes for neck pain
Neck pain can result from a number of diseases. Examples of common conditions causing neck pain are:
- Degenerative disc disease
- Neck strain or wrong posture of neck for a long time
- Muscle sprain
- Neck injury such as whiplash
- Herniated disc in the neck spine
- Text neck is an ever more common problem that develops in anyone who spends hours looking down at the phone while texting.
- A pinched nerve
- Infection of the throat
- Lymph node gland swelling
- Infection of the spine bones in the neck
- Rheumatic pain
- Uncomfortable position of the neck while sleeping
- Fat pillow while sleeping
Call our neck pain doctor now if any of the following symptoms of neck pain are present:
- Neck pain with movement of the neck or turning the head known as stiff neck
- Numbness tingling of the arms and hands
- Sharp shooting pain along the arm
- Pain on pressing the back of the neck
- Trouble with gripping or lifting objects
- Pain on the back of head
- Shoulder pain
- Upper back pain
- Neck pain may be a sign of Ankylosing spondylitis
Neck pain symptoms may vary depending upon location of root cause. For example; For example, if a disc herniation is pressing a nerve root at the cervical spine’s C5-C6 level, then the symptoms could be different from a disc herniation at another level of the cervical spine because those nerves go to other parts of the body.
Neck pain treatment
If you are suffering from neck pain for the first time, initial treatment starts with rest for few days (only), heat or cold application, physiotherapy, posture correction, pain killer medicines followed by neck exercises, stretches, change of pillows for sleep, life style modifications etc. These methods should give relief from neck pain within 3 – 6 weeks.
You need to call neck pain specialist if:
- No relief from pain from above treatments.
- Pain is coming back again after above treatment methods.
- If pain might is short-lived, come and go, or pain becomes constant.
Interventional Pain and Spine Centre, Delhi, India, with its branches (Contact) at Rohini, Ashok Vihar, Punjabi Bagh, Pitampura, Dwarka, Paschim Vihar (Delhi) and Rohtak (Haryana) is the most advanced spine clinic to treat neck pain or cervical without any major surgery and with minimally invasive, pinhole techniques. You can consult the best neck pain doctor in Delhi at our centre.
To know about the various most advanced, state-of-the-art and revolutionary treatments offered by our specialists, please click the following links:
To know the benefits of these latest and safest techniques, click on FAQ’s.