Arthritis denotes a set of symptoms like pain, tenderness, stiffness and swelling in the joints throughout the body. There are many types of arthritis, but the most common type, osteoarthritis, is very painful, that limits the daily activities of life.
Knee Arthritis: It is mainly of 2 types; Osteoarthritis & Rheumatoid arthritis
Osteoarthritis mostly affects the weight-bearing joints, such as hips, knees, hands, feet and the spine joints, called facet joints. Normally, joints move smoothly with little resistance, but usual wear and tear of the joints can cause the cartilage in between the joints, to become rough and worn out. This can result in raw joint surfaces rubbing against each other, causing swelling, formation of bone spurs, stiffness and pain. The lubricating synovial fluid of the joint can also become watery.
The knee is the major joint in the body. The upper and lower bones of the knee are separated by two, plate like structures, called menisci. The upper leg bone (femur) and the lower leg bones (tibia and fibula) are connected by ligaments, tendons, and muscles. The surface of the bones inside the knee joint is covered by articular cartilage, which absorbs shock and provides a smooth, gliding surface for joint movement.
Click on shoulder pain to know about chronic shoulder pain.
Causes of the knee pain
Knee problem is often caused by an injury to one or more of these structures. Many jobs, sports and leisure activities, getting older, or having a disease such as osteoporosis or arthritis increase your likelihood of having problems with your knees.
- Rheumatoid arthritis is a condition that can affect any joint in the body. It can cause severe pain and disability, as well as swelling.
- Osteoarthritis: A wearing down of cartilage of the joint due to use and age. Main symptoms of osteoarthritis are breaks down in cartilage of the joints and abnormal bony growths development, called osteophytes or bone spurs.
- Gout is a form of arthritis that is most commonly found in the big toe, though it can also affect the knee. Uric acid levels in the blood are an important indicator of Gout.
- With septic arthritis (infectious arthritis), the knee joint can become infected; this leads to pain, swelling, and fever.
- Tendinitis: Patellar tendinitis is an inflammation of the tendons connecting the kneecap (patella) to the bone of the lower leg. Its common in runners and cyclists.
- Patello-femoral pain syndrome is caused by degeneration or stress under the kneecap (patella) where it meets the thighbone (femur). Patello-femoral pain syndrome occurs in runners and cyclists.
- Sprains, strains, or other injuries to the ligaments and tendons that connect and support the kneecap.
- A tear in the rubbery cushions of the knee joint, called meniscus.
- Ligament tears
- Breaks (fracture) of the kneecap.
- Knee fractures are most commonly caused by fall or road traffic accidents.
- Pieces of bone or tissue (loose bodies) from a fracture or dislocation that may get caught in the joint and interfere with movement.
- Chronic use / overuse conditions
You need to call knee pain doctor or arthritis doctor if any of these symptoms of knee arthritis is present
With infection or an inflammation, the whole knee might be swollen and painful, while a torn meniscus or fracture of a bone gives symptoms only in one specific area or position.
- Knee pain of more than 3 – 6 weeks
- Difficulty walking due to instability of the knee
- Limping due to discomfort
- Difficulty walking up or down stairs
- locking of the knee (unable to bend the knee)
- Redness and swelling in the knee joint
- Inability to extend the knee, and
- Shifting weight to the opposite knee and foot
How to get knee pain relief
- Loose weight to relieve knee pain.
- Canes, Knee Braces, Physiotherapy, Electrical Stimulation, Knee exercises, life style modifications, Pain reliever (Painkiller) etc.
- You need to call our specialist.
- If you are suffering from knee pain for quite some time.
- If you are not able to do your daily activities because of knee pain.
- If you have been advised knee replacement.
- If above mentioned methods are not giving pain relief.
Interventional Pain and Spine Centre, Delhi, India, with its branches (contact) at Rohini, Ashok Vihar, Punjabi Bagh, Pitampura, Dwarka, Paschim Vihar (Delhi) and Rohtak (Haryana) is the most advanced spine & pain clinic to treat joint pain, knee pain without any surgery and with minimally invasive, pinhole techniques (Example: PRP). You can meet the best knee pain doctor in Delhi for pain management at our centre. In 70 % cases major surgery like knee replacement can be avoided.